[PLUG] Enclousures and power (Batteries)

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Nov 11 10:29:01 UTC 2003

Russ Johnson <russj at dimstar.net> wrote:

> Ask any auto-mechanic or battery manufacturer. A battery sitting on a
> concrete, or dirt floor will discharge. To properly store a battery,
> place it on a piece of wood. I've stored batteries for months this way,
> and that's what the battery rep I used to buy from told me.

A quick google search shows that this is no longer true.  Here's
an example.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/www_2001/content/faqs/tech_talk/maintenance/storing.htm

Will storing my battery on concrete drain the charge? No. Regarding
today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not
discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time
wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or
grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly
than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden
battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture
on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the
glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard
rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted
through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist
concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The
wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has
apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

galen