[PLUG] homegrown WAP

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Nov 11 18:52:02 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 6:21 pm, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> > I'm thinking of building my own wireless access point. The low-cost
> >
> > The major concern I have is antenna placement. If I use a PCI
> > wireless card in an old desktop machine, with the antenna poking
> > out the back, will I have a poorer signal? How much does antenna
> > placement matter inside a building, like a house, or small office?
>
> Is this for your house / home office out there in the rural place
> you've moved to?  If so the poorer signal could easily be plenty
> good enough.

Funny you should ask. Of course home is my test lab, but I'll be doing
installations in interesting places, like barns and tractor sheds. And
small businesses, which are often steel buildings with wood/drywall
interiors. Maybe that will add security, by trapping signals inside? :)

Thanks everyone for great information.

--
Carla Schroder