[PLUG] My recent experimentation with various OS's

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Nov 11 23:30:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Scott Van Hoosen wrote:

>I've recently installed apt on my Red Hat systems, and it is like an
>admin-dream-come-true for me. I like it a lot better than up2date, plus
>it's free. up2date was free if you filled out the monthly
>questionaires, but that adds up if you have several machines.
>
>My conclusions: Since I have far more experience and have had very good
>luck with Red Hat, I'm staying with RH 9 short-term on my servers. When
>I feel that apt (or maybe yum, which I haven't tried yet) is solid on
>Fedora Core, I'll probably switch to that. I've got it running on
>laptops, my main workstation at home and at work, and even on some old
>P-133's as web servers or firewalls.

"up2date" in Fedora supports up2date, yum, and apt repositories.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources, it is well documented. The default is
to use a yum repository hosted by redhat (i.e. up2date works like it did
before, but there is no registration process).

Behind the scenes, the three types of repositories (apt, up2date, yum)
are working together on using common metadata. In other words, apt,
up2date, and yum will be able to all use the same repositories - no need
for someone like me to maintain three seperate repositories of the
same packages.

-Eric