[PLUG] Module loading in 2.6.0-test9 kernel?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Tue Nov 11 23:59:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 22:47, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> Hello Linux folkz,

Hello.

> I just compiled 2.6.0-test9 Linux kernel and found very interesting and
> annoying things.

I really like it, myself.

> 1. It boots up initially much longer than 2.4.xx version of kernels.

Hmmm... with a comperable config file?  I've found it boots in about the
same amount of time as 2.4.x for me.

> 2. Modules in 2.6. kernel have extentions ".ko" vs. ".o" in 2.4 kernels.

Yep, this really doesn't matter as far as I can tell, though.

> 3. I can't load any modules using modprobe in 2.6 kernel

Well, you need the updated module-init-tools.

Odds are your distro has them available somewhere in some package.
Slackware 9.1 ships with them, Gentoo has them available, I'm sure
Debian and Fedora do, as well.

Google is your friend.

Have fun... 2.6.0test9 is a good kernel, IMHO.  :-)

Rob