[PLUG] homegrown WAP

Matt Whiteley matt-whiteley at comcast.net
Wed Nov 12 09:23:01 UTC 2003

> Whatever goes for 802.11b at 2.4GHz goes in spades for 802.11g at
> 5.0GHz, and the new 802.16a metro wireless.  Something that just
> barely works for 11b is probably going to fail miserably for 11g.
> Cable losses go up literally exponentially.  Since you want to
> eventually peddle upgrades, it is best to do it right the first time.

Actually 802.11g is a 2.4GHz technology also, it just transfers more data.
 If you look into 802.11a, that is a 5GHz technology.  I wouldn't suggest
it though as it is not backwards compatible with 802.11b.  I have seen it
used in places with a lot of activity/interference in the 2.4GHz range.  I
would suggest installing 802.11g WAPs even if you have 802.11b client
products for the upgrade path.  The price increase is usually negligible.

--
Matt Whiteley <matt-whiteley at comcast.net>