[PLUG] Linksys WAP, GPL, etc.

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Nov 12 12:36:02 UTC 2003

I don't know if Linksys is completely compatable with GPL, but they
are making a good effort and seem to be trying:

http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp

The outstanding issue I know about involves computing checksums for
uploads to the box.  There is an interesting security issue there, so
I can imagine a combination of legal and engineering work will be
required to solve that problem, and it won't happen overnight.

So while Linksys may have been a bit clueless in the past, they seem to
be devoting significant effort to make things right.  I'd say they need
encouragement and technical help, not censure, and I'm glad FSF is
helping them towards full compliance both legally and technically.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993