[PLUG] Mandrake 9.2 (is out there if you look hard enough...)

Sean, Sharon and Kyle Harbour sharbours at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 13:47:01 UTC 2003

It's been available on secondary (read, not officially supported by
Mandrake) bittorrent sites to anyone since right after they released
it to the 'club' members for download. Also, I hear the floppy boot/
FTP/HTTP network install works fine if you have a reliable internet
connection. I just upgraded my entire house, and overall I like it,
no major problems except for having to manually run the menu rebuild
script after installing all of the updates. I can't remember the
exact command, ls /usr/bin/* | grep menu

Yes, if you have an LG cdrom, check and see if it has the defect that
causes it to die before installing Mandrake. Apparently it has
something to do with the kernel initialization of IDE devices, so
installing over the network still can kill an affected CDROM. I'm not
sure if this is a Mandrake issue or a kernel issue, and Mandrake was
just unlucky enough to put out the latest kernel and get bit by it.

BTW, I did convert my Mandrake 9.2 RC2/MythTV box to KnoppMyth V4,
and I have to say a correctly setup Debian distro is nice, though the
performance seems to have gone down noticeable, but I am still
investigating that...

By the way, apt-get install foobillard, anyone up for a game of
network pool?

Sean Harbour