[PLUG] Seagate SCSI Documentation

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Nov 12 18:35:03 UTC 2003

I recently ran across some excellent documentation on the Seagate site.
They do not have it indexed well at all, but the document is a complete
discussion of the SCSI commands that Seagate drives use:

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/38479j.pdf

I noticed this referenced in the documentation for a 5 year old SCSI drive
I'm thinking about buying.  Funny how 5 year old 47GB drives tend to be
built a bit more stout than new drives...

The manual for that drive is excellent and reminiscent of "old school"
documentation.  I was surprised that there wasn't a schematic in the back
of the PDF.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/29280a.pdf

This is the first drive document that I've seen that details everything
that goes into the MTBF calculation.  In particular, the duty cycle of the
drive, whether a SMART warning counts against MTBF, etc.

I may have to buy a couple of these antiques just because the
documentation is so good.  They'd be good replacements for my 11 year old
2GB drives.

  -- Steve