Sluggish Mandrake WAS RE: [PLUG] Fedora change...

Sasha Romanosky sasha_romanosky at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 19:38:02 UTC 2003

> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 13:24, Sasha Romanosky wrote:
>
> > What is it exactly about Mandrake that makes you say its unstable,
> > bulky and not geared towards a server setup
>
> Unstable - everybody I've spoken to who has used Mandrake
> within the last few years has noticed it has crashed a few
> times on them.  Folks who switch from Mandrake to Slackware
> (or Gentoo) I run in to elsewhere tend to rave about how
> stable things are now that they're away from Mandrake.  That
> said, I'm sure there are folks who have fun Mandrake without
> having any signficant issues.

Sure, no one likes a crashing server. But I would be one of these folks
who hasn't had any significant issues - or at least nothing I could
trace back to the OS

> A lot of Mandrake's
> instability, I believe, is due to their super-patched kernel.
>  Slackware, for one, uses as vanilla a kernel as possible.
>
> Bulky - it's just so darned sluggish.  When last I installed
> it, it installed, by default, a *ton* of startup services.
> Yes, you can turn them off, but I like the policy of stuff
> being off unless I turn it on, personally.

Much of this is scripted depending on the security setting that you
define at the top of the install. Tweaking the post install, I would
argue, is part of any fresh installation - regardless of the distro.
Though, the less fussing, the sooner time to a live system.

> Another thing
> folks who move away from Mandrake I've run in to tend to rave
> about is the increased speed.  They can't believe how fast
> their systems can boot and how snappy things (even bulky,
> slow things like KDE) feel to them.

This would be something that would think about switching (that and
package mgmt). I am reluctant to ask, but are there any stats or metrics
on the performance gains of Gentoo, Debian, Fedora/Redhat over Mandrake?

> The above two pretty much rule it out for a server setup.
> You don't want to waste resources on a production server - it
> just doesn't make sense.  Stability should be paramount, too.
>  Ideally, you really shouldn't ever have to look at a server
> again except to update this or that.

Fair enough.

> That's just my opinion on it... I'm sure there are folks who
> have found other distributions to be slower than Mandrake,
> and who haven't had any stability problems with Mandrake at
> all.  I'm definitely not one of them
> - I've had both stability and speed issues running Mandrake,
> but don't have either with Slackware or Gentoo.  A system
> that wouldn't run Mandrake for more than fifteen or twenty
> minutes is currently my server, with 45 days uptime, with
> three sets of 180 days each before this last reboot... all
> reboots were due to power outages outlasting the UPS,
> hardware upgrades, or... once... I did a root oops with hdparm.  :-)
>
> Rob

I've been curious about Gentoo. I know nothing about it, aside from its
debian like package management. Do you know this well enough to
elaborate on its benefits?

cheers,
sasha