[PLUG] My recent experimentation with various OS's

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Wed Nov 12 22:48:02 UTC 2003

Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> but then, you can't patch a .deb binary at all, can you?

Why not?  I patch binary files every day with xdelta, it's quite handy.
  It has the ability to produce freakishly small patch files for
gargantuan binaries - which always mystifies me.

It looks like somebody else is using it on .debs too:

from: http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=6688

* The new ``pristine'' option (-p, --pristine) disables
   automatic uncompression of compressed input data, and is for use
   when data integrity is being externally verified.  This enables a
   tool written by Manish Singh (yosh at gimp.org) to compute deltas
   between the Debian dpkg utility's .deb format.

--Brent