[PLUG] Promise Drive Controller

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Thu Nov 13 10:28:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 00:19, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I am continuing with another aspect of using Linux
> with large drives and offboard controllers. RH8 and
> Mandrake 9 are two distros known ot work with such
> controllers.
>
> As at least one member of this list reported, hda and
> hdb can appear as hde and hdf when the drives are
> attached to the offboard controller. So I suppose that
> if the Linux installation is cloned from a smaller
> drive, fstab should be modified to reflect the
> anticipated changes, prior to grabbing the
> screwdriver. Any other potential problems?

Under Redhat 7.x and probably other 2.4 systems as well there
was a changed in fstab.  Boot labels supposedly allow absolute
device references to be replaced with labels.  I have never
been able to get it to work with custom kernels though where
having two drives installed with the same labels on their
partitions would result in a conflict.  The other problem
is that even unmounted, unplugging or plugging in an Inclose
PMD9i drive bracket while the system is running will crash
the system.

What is needed to make hot swapping of drives into and out of
ATA brackets work?

> "Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."--Frederick Nietzsche
"Many convictions are true."

--
Michael C. Robinson

Associates of General Studies