[PLUG] Batteries and UPSs

guy1656 guy1656 at ados.com
Thu Nov 13 10:29:01 UTC 2003

Mike De La Mater wrote:
: On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 09:41, Kyle Accardi wrote:
: > Trench Shoring wrote:
: > > The person who responded wrote that after a few months after installing
: > > a car battery in his unit, his children got sick with a mysterious
: > > symptoms. His spouse was getting ill and after a few more months of
: > > torturous diagnosis someone did a lead test that came back positive.
: > > A UPS uses SEALED lead acid batteries for a good reason.
: >
: > Wonder how the lead got out since its melting point is over 600F and
: > boils at 3180F.
:
: Dittos- seems to me that they would have to be in regular physical
: contact to get enough lead to poison children, like a favorite pewter
: toy, eating it in paint chips, or something like that. If there were
: some chemical reaction that removed the lead, I'd understand it, but
: lead consumption is not a normal part of regular battery operation,
: IIRC. Maybe his charger was doing something hinky?
:
: I'd suspect a source other than a battery in an area that I wouldn't let
: my kids hang out in, next to my server.

Could it have been the electrolyte, rather than the lead?

- GLL