[PLUG] Attempted dd copy, ran into problems...

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Thu Nov 13 10:55:03 UTC 2003

I had two 40 gig hard drives, one ATA-133 and the other ATA-100.
I was trying to dupe one to the other because a system didn't seem
to be working with the ATA-133.  The first thing I noticed when
I opened the case is that the shop installed high density 80 wire
cable to the onboard ATA-33 controller.  It seems the drives are
slightly different sizes.

I tried dd if=/dev/hde of=/dev/hdf bs=512k which seemed to work except
I got a out of space or something error on the target and the Windows
system that's supposed to be on there gave an error about the drive
not being LBA formatted or something about problems with the end of
the partition.  One drive appears to 41 gigs and the other 39.  The
data doesn't come anywhere near to filling up the source.  Maybe
I should /dev/zero the target, partition it manually as FAT32, then
do the same dd command with a count=something argument.
--
Michael C. Robinson

Associates of General Studies
PCC March 2003.