[PLUG] Attempted dd copy, ran into problems...

Mark Morgan lemming at quirkyqatz.com
Thu Nov 13 11:18:02 UTC 2003

Michael C. Robinson said:
> I had two 40 gig hard drives, one ATA-133 and the other ATA-100.
> I was trying to dupe one to the other because a system didn't seem to be
> working with the ATA-133.
*snip snip snip*
> I tried dd if=/dev/hde of=/dev/hdf bs=512k which seemed to work

dd isn't that great of a tool between two different HD.  If they have the
same geometry, then it works well.

I never tried doing dd on each partition, in theory that might work if you
then redid your MBR.  Someone on the list may be able to confirm or deny
this theory?

--
Mark
http://www.kittydream.org - House of Dreams Cat Shelter