[PLUG] Attempted dd copy, ran into problems...

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Thu Nov 13 13:17:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 12:57, Galen Seitz wrote:

> FYI, if you ever have trouble with dd due to disk drive errors, there is
> a tool called dd_rescue.  It allows you to work around the errors.
>
> http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
>

> galen

Thanks. Looking at the drive in Windows fdisk I
found out that the reported partition size is larger than
the destination drive by a small amount.  I wish there was
a cheat to fix this.  Can I fips the drive partition down
to the actual end of the drive?  The tar method of backing
up drives that I've attempted in the past screws up
the windows swap file.  I guess that file can be deleted
though.  It may be a mute point, I suspect the system I'm
trying to copy is set up wrong.  If I could hack the fat
table directly I could probably move the partition end
to the actual end of the drive.  I wonder if this would
have worked if these two drives were exactly the same
size?

Nothing I've read says ATA-133 drive shouldn't
work on an ATA-100 promise card, so the need to
copy a drive in the first place perplexes me.

--
Michael C. Robinson

Associates of General Studies
PCC March 2003.