[PLUG] My recent experimentation with various OS's

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Nov 13 18:50:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 08:14, Brent Rieck wrote:

> Does Gentoo also distribute the pre-patched source in addition to the
> patch, or does it make everybody apply the patch?

When you emerge a package with Gentoo, it downloads the tarball if it
isn't already on your system, then it downloads any patches the ebuild
dictates.

If you have, for instance, gaim-0.69 and want to upgrade to gaim-0.71,
you don't just download a patch... when you emerge gaim-0.71, it
downloads the whole gaim tarball.  The same is true with the kernel or
anything else - there are some big source packages out there.

It would sure be neat if they provided a patching system so you didn't
have to download the whole thing again, only a compressed patch, if you
already had the original tarball....

Gentoo does deliver the pre-patched source, as well as the patches, when
you emerge something.  If you want to not patch something, you simply
comment out the patch lines in the ebuild.

Rob