[PLUG] Palm USB question

Fedor Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Thu Nov 13 19:45:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Rogan Creswick wrote:
> With my visor the /dev/ttyUSB* devices aren't created until I hit the
> hotsync button on the cradle (I am using devfs), and I think I had to
> manually create /dev/pilot to point to the correct one.
>
> I never bothered to get it working "right" since it wasn't worth the
> time to me, but this may at least get it so you can sync.
No, you got it working "right". ttyUSB* is created when usbserial is loaded,
and, unless you have some other device which loads it first, it'll happen
for the first time after you press hotsync. /dev/pilot is not a "standard"
device, merely a convenient symlink, so you do need to create it manually,
but only once (it does not go away), and you can point it to ttyUSB1 even
if you don't have ttyUSB1 yet.

--
                                  Fedor G. Pikus
Mentor Graphics Corporation         | Phone: (503) 685-4857