Sluggish Mandrake WAS RE: [PLUG] Fedora change...

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Nov 13 23:35:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 23:12, Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> Well, that's part of the draw, so I hope gentoo can improve those benchmarks in time.  Looking at that linmagau.org article, I do suspect that a better kernel than the "stock" gentoo kernel would have helped somewhat.

Geeze, I didn't look at it very closely - they actually used the stock
gentoo kernel?  That thing isn't meant to be used for anything except
getting enough of a system together to be able to reboot into your own
custom-compiled kernel.

Craziness.

I wonder what kind of CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS they used, too?  They just
said -march=pentium3 -pipe -O3 ... it's been shown -O2 and -Os can
produce faster binaries depending on what you're working with.  They
also failed to mention if that was the CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS or both.

It might also be interesting to see if the differences are greater when
you're dealing with an AMD system - be it 32- or 64-bit.  AFAICT, the
GCC devs have really put some emphasis on optimizing for the Athlon.

Maybe during Christmas Break I'll take the time and try to reproduce
this guy's findings.

Rob