[PLUG] Linux kernel ties to the filesystem

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Fri Nov 14 10:28:02 UTC 2003

The Linux kernel makes certain assumptions about the filesystem
directory hierarchy. For example, it assumes that there's a
/dev directory (let's ignore devfs). Obviously it knows about
the root (/). I'm wondering what other assumptions _it_ makes.
Note that I'm not talking about daemons or init.

Does the kernel know about /lib or is there another mechanism
that tells the kernel about it?

Is there anything in /etc that the kernel is aware of?

What about /var?

I know this is a difficult question given all the functionality
in the Linux kernel these days.

Ed