[PLUG] Batteries and UPSs

Aaron Burt aaron at speakeasy.org
Fri Nov 14 11:36:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 06:44:57PM -0800, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 11:02, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> > More info than I want on vented batteries, except what, exactly, is
> > electrolyte? m-w.com says it's a material that ionizes. Hmmm...
>
> It's been a few years since chemistry... but I believe an electrolyte is
> a chemical that dissolves in water, breaking in to an acid and a base.
>
> Table salt (NaCl) is an electrolyte.

And just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, please note that
CAR BATTERIES CONTAIN SULFURIC ACID as an electrolyte.

It's nasty poisonous burninating corroding stuff that goes everywhere
when a battery explodes.  I am forever grateful that when I had a car
battery explode, it was outside under the hood of my car rather than,
say, sitting in the same room as me.

  Aaron, who uses Trogdor(tm) batteries.