[PLUG] USB-to-serial/parallel port adapters

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Fri Nov 14 13:24:19 UTC 2003

I'm planning on picking up USB port converters for both serial and
parallel in the near future and was wondering if there are any caveats a
Linux user should bear in mind when selecting make/model. I've noticed in
the kernel menuconfig that there seem to be a large array of drivers for
these sorts of devices. Are any known to work better than others?  Also,
what price point should I expect to encounter for a decent product? I've
only shopped USB-to-serial converters so far, and have seen upwards of
$50 (Fry's) and as little as ~$10 (eBay auction, new item).

Paul