[PLUG] file system layout question

Mark Morgan lemming at quirkyqatz.com
Mon Nov 17 15:42:01 UTC 2003

Rich Shepard said:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Vincent Yau wrote:
>
>> So I have 2 partitions on /dev/hda.  But the 2nd drive is mounted
>> using LVM as a logical volume, if I am not mistaken.  If I am correct
>> on this, I would like to know why it is being formatted this way?
>
> Vincent,
>
>   I cannot address the logical volume question as I don't use 'em
> But, a number of pre-installed linuxes come with just a
> root directory (/) and _everything_ is in there. Why? It's easier
> for them and their automatic install scripts.

I'm pretty much got the same answers as Rich.
/ /boot /usr /var /home /opt /usr/local /data /tmp
are some of the popular partition names (I probably missed several)
Some of it's just helpful in organization.
On small systems such as my laptop, I just have my / & swap as two
partitions.  My server is split up a bit more, especially since I have
multiple drives.  Is it strictly nessasary? Not really, but having
partitions such as /usr/local & /home make it a lot easier to do a
reinstall when you can just leave those partitions alone without having to
backup & restore (backup is always advised)

--
Mark
http://www.kittydream.org - House of Dreams Cat Shelter