[PLUG] file system layout question

Chris Jantzen chris-plug at maybe.net
Tue Nov 18 15:50:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:30:30PM +0000, Vincent Yau wrote:
> So I have 2 partitions on /dev/hda.  But the 2nd drive is mounted using LVM
> as a logical
> volume, if I am not mistaken.  If I am correct on this, I would like to
> know why
> it is being formatted this way?

I wouldn't have set up the logical volume as the entire volume group,
myself. Logical volume management is a really nice way of letting you
shuffle around data and partitions to your hearts content, rather than
being limited to whatever fdisk limits you to. Moreover, you can resize
volumes (although only increasing them is safe if you have a filesystem
on there already; recommendation: use reiser) on the fly. Additionally,
you can add additional hard drives and volumes can be split across
hardware transparently.

--
chris jantzen kb7rnl =->         __O
Insert witty comment here.     _`\<,_