[PLUG] Looking for a web based Postfix/virtual account manager

Holger Stephan holger at selover.net
Wed Nov 19 01:10:02 UTC 2003

Here is the Open Source Song from today.

I was looking for a web based administrator tool we can give a client
who wants to maintain their email accounts themselves (á la web hosting
control panel). This is for a Postfix/Mysql (or LDAP)/virtual
domain/virtual account configuration.

At Sourceforge, I found 60 projects that have not yet committed any
source. Too young, or never materialized. Then there were 6 others who
had code but can be considered dead. Most of these projects are ISP
admin tools.

After scanning dozens of these dead projects I read this here on
http://mojo.sourceforge.net/:

"[...] Now go on over to the project page, and have a look and then
laugh and laugh and laugh. [...]" -- yeah, that is the right attitude!

The free tool I liked best didn't seem to like Postfix (i.e. the
Squirrelmail plug-in).

The list of links and projects is below. The numbers at the begin of
some lines are quickly assigned (and possibly unjustified) ratings (with
1=very good, 5=bad).

If any of you know of a good and free web based control panel, please
give me a holler.

Thanks

- Holger (hoping this wind isn't going to blow away Rich...)

** Postfix+Mysql Howtos:
http://high5.net/howto/
http://www.eccod.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2
http://www.marlow.dk/tech/postfix.php?noframe=yes

** Free Postfix E-mail Admin:
2 http://high5.net/postfixadmin (Mysql, has autoresponder)
2 http://mricon.com/xmlparse/SM/index.xml (plug-in into Squirrelmail,
only works with qmail?)
3 http://www.delouw.ch/linux/web-cyradm (MySql, no autoresponder)
3 http://www.bee-side.org/free_software/argo/postPHPix/index.html (LDAP,
no autoresponder?)
4 http://www.holgilein.de/coolprox/tequila/tequila_de.html (author moved
to NZ in Nov. will be busy)
? http://mypos.pino.nu/

**  Free ISP Admin:
3 http://www.ispman.org/index.php
5 http://mojo.sourceforge.net (not much there)
3 http://www.ispworks.org
5 http://www.xams.org/pages/home/home.php (only works with Exim as MTA,
otherwise good)

** Commercial ISP Admin:
https://buy.ensim.com/items.asp?skus=linux ($200/svr/20 domains,
$600/250 domains)
http://www.psoft.net ($450/100 user accounts)
http://www.sw-soft.com/en/buyonline/plesk ($200/30 domains)
http://www.cpanel.net ($1,500/svr)
http://www.sw-soft.com/en/buyonline/plesk (10 domains: $990)

** Free Webmail (other than Squirrelmail):
http://www.inter7.com/sqwebmail/sqwebmail.html
  Free, only works with Maildir, works with MySql
  database administration (also see:
  http://www.marlow.dk/tech/postfix.php)

** Sourceforge Projects With No Files (too young or DOA):

1	hspsm
2	vivacitybp
3	postvirtual
4	webadminix
5	phpmyhosting
6	hostingscripts
7	whitehat
8	whcm
9	phpmyhost
10	bsd-webcp
11	ispcandy
12	phpisp
13	unicp
14	hostm8
15	interhost
16	nexism
17	hostcontroller
18	peco
19	tuxpanel
20	ncpanel
21	myownwebhost
22	inept
23	wsserv
24	mwm
25	andyadmin
26	fancat
27	shellman
28	oswh
29	phpwebhosting
30	lainucsnet
31	velocityvds
32	pwhm
33	y-hosting
34	hostingate
35	uhost
36	ioengine
37	sitesimple
38	whctrlpanel
39	hpwr
40	hostingtool
41	yacht
42	cpanelbill
43	ispadm
44	stackhost
45	corpcal
46	phpmvh
47	portix1
48	virtualhost
49	anna
50	phphost
51	lpht
52	cwebmgt
53	phphostingadmin
54	fransisco
55	ispa
56	yaht
57	himalaya
58	hostcore
59	hcc
60	perlwhp

** Dead Projects:

1	sitesimple (no homepage, no docs, no discussion)
2	dvhs: (dead since 2002-05-17)
3	hassist: (dead since 2001-08-08)
4	pvirthostas: (dead June 18, 2002)
5	acctmgr: (dead since November 16, 2002)
6	http://webcp.can-host.com/: (unreachable)