OT: Re: [PDXLUG] Re: [PLUG] Re: vmware special? offer

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Nov 19 17:38:24 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Robby" == Robby Russell <robby at planetargon.com> writes:

Robby> You can push us down because we're little, small and less
Robby> intelligent but you can never take OUR NAME!

No one is pushing you anywhere, so please lose the paranoid delusions.

The problem remains that you took PLUG's name.  I'd wager, except
during the times this subject comes up again (and again), most PLUG
members would probably tell you that PLUG stands for Portland Linux
User Group.  As I understand it, the Linux/Unix thing only came about
as an effort to be inclusive of another group (the Portland Unix Users
Group[1]).  As near as I can tell, the Linux/Unix thing has never
really caught on very strongly with the "rank-and-file".  Check Google
Groups for common usage.[2]

If you want to be different then choose a "different" name (hint: it
isn't different now).  If you want to be the same then let's work
together again.  If you have differences, the rational thing to do is
to discuss them.  If you think this issue is going to go away by
ignoring it, you are wrong.  Everytime I find evidence of
confusion[3], I am going to bring it up again.

[1] I have some old puug mailing list traffic from the period shortly
    after PLUG formed.  Also, see the November 1994 meeting announcement:

[2] <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Portland+Linux+User+Group%22&scoring=d>

[3] like when organizations de-list PLUG apparently thinking PDXLUG is
    the same thing, or some kind of successor; or when newbies are
    flabbergasted to discover that people claiming to be the Portland
    Linux User Group aren't PLUG.

seniorr at aracnet.com