[PLUG] Another topic: the PLUG FAQ

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Thu Nov 20 06:10:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 23:29, Kevin Theobald wrote:
> Sorry if this interrupts the nice p1551ng match over the P[DX]LUG
> names.  But I was looking over the PLUG (our PLUG) website, and ran
> across the FAQ.  As I read the general stuff on Linux, I had the
> impression that a newbie knowing nothing about Linux would get the
> idea that Linux is all the work of the GNU project, with this little
> "kernel" think that Linus stuck on to complete the package.

That may have been placed there some time ago when there was talk
of inviting Stallman to visit Portland. When I spoke to him on
the phone once, he hinted that he would be willing to visit user
groups that were willing to give credit to the Free Software
movement - something that I have no problem with. The man deserves
the recognition for his significant contributions to our community
even if you don't agree with all his ideas and ideals.

There are influential people who don't like Stallman and try to
minimize his contribution while maximizing Torvald's contribution.
If referring to Linux distributions as GNU Linux helps preserve the
recognition that Stallman and an army of GNU contributors deserve,
while simultaneously recognizing the efforts of Torvalds and the
army of Linux contributors, I think this is a small price.

Ed