My take on (GNU/)?Linux Re: [PLUG] Another topic: the PLUG FAQ

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Nov 20 12:41:25 UTC 2003

I've had the privilege of spending quite a bit of time with Richard
Stallman and Linus Torvalds, thanks to my role with Geek Cruises
(www.geekcruises.com).

While Richard definitely gets credit for the FSF and GNU project and
GCC and GNU Emacs and most of the other GNU Tools, Linus did what
Richard was unable to do: create the kernel.

You disrespect Linus for his essential contribution when you call it
GNU/Linux, which is merely RMS's attempt to ride on the coat-tails of
another product.

Knowing RMS and Linus personally, I request that you respect the
expressed wishes of Linus on this, and just call it Linux.  RMS can
and will get his legendary status by other means.