[PLUG] How is it logged...

Aaron Burt aaron at speakeasy.org
Thu Nov 20 20:43:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:13:11PM -0800, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> I'm wondering what facility sends error messages from my onstream
> drive directly to the screen.

The kernel's debug-message facility.  You can see the last chunk of
those messages with the dmesg command, and they're often logged to
/var/log/dmesg.

> Is there a C function I can search for in the source code.

printk().  Be careful what you comment out, though.

> When running taper, it's not nice to have errors pop up on the screen.
> This messes up the display.

In theory, those messages are meant to communicate information you
should know NOW.  Like, say, something is badly broken.  If they're
really just worthless debug output, and everything's working nicely for
you, I'd strongly recommend sending off an email to the driver author.