[PLUG] forcing 100 Mbps full duplex connectivity

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Nov 20 21:34:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 21:18, Vincent Yau wrote:

> I first came across this problem when I was looking into dmesg.  One of the
> output,
> from the NIC, registered as half duplex at 10 Mbps.
> The network guy says that connectivity will default at 10 Mbps
> and subsequent content fetch could boost the speed to 100 Mbps
> (hence, "autonegotiate" based on content size).
> Now we need to waste our time to "negotiate" with the network group
> to default us to 100 Mbps.  I think that is what we need to do.

I've got to ask... if you didn't notice the problem until you were
looking at the dmesg output, do you really think you need the full
100Mbps connection?

10/half, for most things, really isn't that much slower than 100/full.
If you're tunneling uncompressed X applications, regularly moving big
files (by big I mean 200+ MB), running uncompressed VNC, or something
similar... you'll notice a difference with 100/full.  Otherwise, you
probably won't be able to tell at all.

I usually live off my WiFi link.  I max out at about 4Mbps.  I don't
honestly care unless I'm moving big files around... which is when I plug
in the CAT5 and fire up eth1.

I'd hate for you to have wasted a bunch of time for something that isn't
going to be any better than what you have now...

Rob