[PLUG] FS to handle large files?

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Thu Nov 20 23:37:01 UTC 2003

Kyle Hayes wrote:

> From the manual, you cannot take a snapshot of the files used by the DB while
> it is live.  MySQL can do this.  Because the manuals say this, I would assume
> that something is in memory that isn't on disk.  Clearly this something can
> be recreated (or rolled back) because Postgres can recover from crashes.  If
> my snapshot isn't a completely safe and coherent set of data, it isn't a
> snapshot.

The manual doesn't really cover LVM snapshots.  It has been talked about
on the mailing lists.  Normal copies of the database files won't work if
the server is running; only an instantaneous snapshot will be
consistent.  Now, the database and logs are consistent but they aren't
in a known state.  That requires stopping the server.

> Can pg_dump be run safely and without performance degredation on a live
> Postgres DB?

The pg_dump can be slow for really large data sets.  I don't think it
slows down serving queries.  It returns a consistent view of the
database because it runs in a transaction.  It is possible to get
individual databases in a known state but disabling client access before
the dump.

  - Ian

ian at znark.com
http://www.znark.com/