[PLUG] tip on gdm, man this had me going a while...

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Fri Nov 21 12:00:02 UTC 2003

I ran into LTSP getting a gray screen and all the standard checks
that the package's website recommends falling flat.  Killing the
gdm process fixed the problem.  I couldn't get X up locally except
via startx.  I was getting Audit: ... client X rejected local host
in my XFree86.0.log.  I still wonder what happened here.  Maybe
it's a freak thing.

A seperate issue, I have been noticing on log out that the
xdm screen frequently gets trashed, or is it the gdm screen?
Doing ctrl-alt-backspace cleans the log in screen up, I
wonder why though?

I installed the Xfree86-base-fonts upgrade package from
updates.redhat.com for Redhat 7,3, but rpm -V says all
the encodings.dir files are missing.  Anyone know the
fix for this?  Can I still import the keys for these
old distributions?  Google suggested xauth or xhost
something or rather for the Audit problem, but I never
did figure that out.  The crashed gdm process must have
gotten a hold of the ports X needs, but why did it
crash I wonder?  Now would probably be the time to
upgrade, but what worries me is that Redhat has gone
8, 9, Fedora.  All of these are rougher than
Redhat 7.3 out of the 7.x series.  I've played with
7.2 and have noticed a lot of stuff just works better
in 7.3.  The darndest things like iptraf etc. have
been broken.  Redhat Enterprise might be a good way
to go, but I don't have $120 thank you let alone any
interest in licensing the right to use a Linux
distribution.

I'd much prefer a fully debugged Redhat 7.3 over
fedora.  Even as is so long as X Windows isn't
installed, it has been very stable for me. I'd
say complaints against sys V style scripts are
valid though.

--
Michael C. Robinson

Associates of General Studies