[PLUG] shipping camera images home from New Zealand

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 21 12:14:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> writes:
>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:

Russell> My sister is going to New Zealand for three months.  She has
Russell> a digital camera with a couple 128 meg SmartMedia cards and
Russell> wants to be able to send pictures back so that she can reuse
Russell> the cards during her stay.  She isn't particularly geekish.
Russell> Anybody been to NZ recently, know what facilities are like?
Russell> Any ideas in general on how to solve the problem.  One idea I
Russell> had in the shower this morning was to put some kind of
Russell> SCP.EXE program on the smart media filesystem.  Will that
Russell> work in a typical Internet Cafe environment?

Randal> I've been using Internet Cafes all around the US, and even in
Randal> odd ports on my cruises (www.geekcruises.com).  I find that
Randal> about a third of them are set up with a typical Windows
Randal> desktop, and if they are, I visit "putty.nl" and download and
Randal> run Putty for an ssh client to get back to my home box.  The
Randal> putty site also contains an scp client, but I think the hitch
Randal> will be finding a cafe that can read a smartmedia card.

It has an integrated USB interface and she'll have the right cable.
Pardon my cluelessness re typical windows desktop setups, but is the
USB storage thing likely to work without intervention?

I have her prepared with a script with which to make inquiries,
basically: "I have a USB camera I want to send pictures home with
... can I do that here?" Can you (or anyone) think of the magic
question to get the Right Answer to: "is this going to be easy" or "am
I going to waste an hour screwing around".

Putting the binary on the smartmedia might remove one step.  pscp.exe
is only 161,280 bytes.

seniorr at aracnet.com