[PLUG] Getting an smc ez-connect wireless card working...

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Sat Nov 22 10:37:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 16:17, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 11:55, Chris Jantzen wrote:
> > >
> > > Most of the PCI-PCMCIA adapters for wireless cards aren't full bridges.
> > > They only work with the card in question and only with said drivers.

It's alive.  It requires a 2.4.22 kernel from ftp.kernel.org and
surprisingly it's a prism 2 card.  I guess the pci model is the
2602w, so with it plugged into the supplied bridge, this 2632w pcmcia
card comes up as a 2602w card.  There was a special compile option
in 2.4.22 under wireless for the nonstandard bridge the card is on.
I think the tape was so that you can't pull the card out.  The only
disadvantage with this card is no external antenna, though there are
a delicate set of modifications that fix that involving a soldering
iron, exacto knife...  I wonder if I can use any other wireless card
in this bridge?

What file do I need to create under /etc/sysconfig for this wireless
adapter and what goes in it?  I see things like receiving threshold
etc. that I would think are more tuning issues than anything.  I
would expect these to be be set at runtime.  Is there a nice
console tool like menuconfig just for configuring wireless cards
on a Rehat 7.3 system or do they all require X?

--
Michael C. Robinson

Associates of General Studies
PCC March 2003.