[PLUG] Re: My take on (GNU/)?Linux Re: [PLUG] Another topic: the PLUG FAQ

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Nov 23 08:11:01 UTC 2003

Kevin> Randal L. Schwartz writes:
>> Knowing RMS and Linus personally, I request that you respect the
>> expressed wishes of Linus on this, and just call it Linux.  RMS can
>> and will get his legendary status by other means.

Kevin> How did you meet them?

RMS has been on one Geek Cruise (www.geekcruises.com) and Linus has
been on two.  I also met RMS at a conference some years before that.

Kevin> BTW, are you the guy who wrote the Perl books for O'Reilly?

Yes, and the 198 magazine articles (so-far) on Perl as well
(http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/columns.html,
http://www.stonehenge.com/books/), making me the most widely published
Perl author (21 million By-Lines and counting).

Kevin>   If so, which McMenamin pub did you write Learning Perl in?

It says in the books!  Read!  It's the one on Cedar Hills Blvd, just
north of Beaverton Mall.

Kevin>   And did they ever
Kevin> give you any free (as in beer) beer for mentioning them? :-)

Nope, just one free meal, and many happy memories.