[PLUG] House Passed the Anti-Spam Bill

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Nov 23 09:10:02 UTC 2003

On Sunday 23 November 2003 6:50 am, Holger Stephan wrote:
> > ~    * You're going to get tons of spam, and from major companies.
> > This ~      becomes legal, even in states where it used to be
> > illegal. ~    * The headers will be correct. There are penalties
> > for forging ~      headers.
>
> When the headers are correct what keeps the receiving MTA from
> rejecting spam? Seems to me as soon as advertisers identify
> themselves at delivery the technology to reject them at the door step
> will be made available to the public pretty fast. Currently it is
> limited to those who have the expertise and time to set up something
> like MIMEDefang.

That still drops the problem into the recipient's hands. We're still
subsidizing the spammer. All that bandwidth they're sucking up is paid
for by someone else.  All the steps we take to block spam eats up hours
we'll never get paid for. What our good chums in Congress are doing is
legalizing a form of DDoS. But what do they care, us luser citizens
don't pad their bank accounts.

As for identifiable headers, you know they'll play whack-a-mole games
with changing names and servers. Most retailers that get into the spam
gang will outsource to the big spamhauses, who are experts at this sort
of fiddle. It should be easier to filter, but it will still be a big
fat PITA.

The cure for spam is to cut it off at the source. No matter how they
dress it up, it's a form of trespass,that shifts the cost to the
recipients. Building better filters, or making it easier to filter, is
like using a bigger umbrella in a shitstorm.

--
Carla Schroder