[PLUG] X forwarding windows manager

Holger Stephan holger at selover.net
Sun Nov 23 10:46:01 UTC 2003

Hi, here is a question - again:

I would like to run an x window session on a remote box. Reason: the
user on the remote box tells me the screen "flashes" but when I run
single X applications through x forwarding I see nothing wrong. In an
attempt to replicate this from remote I shut down my x window (init 3),
log into the remote computer with the user's account (ssh -X
user at remote) and type startx. Then this error message comes up: "PAM
authentication failed. Cannot start x server. Perhaps you do not have
console ownership?" Remote is RH9, mine is RH8.

A quick look at google tells me there is much more involved to get this
to run.

Is there a good how-to or recipe?

Thanks - again

Holger