[PLUG] replacing the system Hard drive

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Sun Nov 23 14:29:25 UTC 2003

Good day.

So, I think I want to replace my system hard drive.

I have two HD in the sysem.  One is for the OS and some other minor
things and the other is mostly home dirs and files.

I think the system drive is going bad and want to do a complete move
from the old HD of 30GB to a new HD of 120GB.  Beside attaining a copy
of Ghost what alternatives do I have?  I know I'll have to take the
computer off line and boot from a floppy to move the drive but not
sure how to do it.

My first guess is to use dd but not familiar with that well enough to
know if that is the best tool for the job.

Suggestions?  I want to be able to take the computer offline for a
short time.  Mount the other HD.  Reboot on a floopy, run a command to
move the contents from the old drive to the new.  Take out the old
drive and boot up with the new drive.  The Old OS and all files should
still be there.  hmm,  Will there be partition problems?  Or just
extra space I can repartition later?

Thanks again.

Josh