[PLUG] Linux server constantly rebooting.

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Mon Nov 24 01:11:02 UTC 2003

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:33:22AM -0800, Josh Orchard wrote:
>> > Wow, does it write any other logs in it's uptime? How about a copy
>> of
>> > dmesg? Does the bootlog have anything interesting in it?
>>
>> Neither dmesg or the boot.log show anything that is not normal.
>> They
>> look good.
>
> Has this machine demonstrated uptime with other operating systems
> (e.g.,
> Windows)? i.e., is this a hardware issue?

Only a Linux server from day one.  I haven't changed any Hardware but
I think the Hard drive may be going bad.  My only thought is that the
swap partition is bad and thus it tries to write something and fails.

Is there some way to test for that?  Can I create another swap like a
file since I can't make another partition now.  I knew in HP you could
add to the swap space by defining a file then make that file the
primary swap.  Not very efficient but worked.  Anything similar for
linux?

Josh