[PLUG] Linux server constantly rebooting.

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Nov 24 02:23:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Josh" == Josh Orchard <josh at emediatedesigns.com> writes:

Josh> Only a Linux server from day one.  I haven't changed any
Josh> Hardware but I think the Hard drive may be going bad.  My only
Josh> thought is that the swap partition is bad and thus it tries to
Josh> write something and fails.

Josh> Is there some way to test for that?  Can I create another swap
Josh> like a file since I can't make another partition now.  I knew in
Josh> HP you could add to the swap space by defining a file then make
Josh> that file the primary swap.  Not very efficient but worked.
Josh> Anything similar for linux?

Howabout swapoff?  Then mkswap -c /dev/whatever-your-swap-partitition-is

The -c causes mkswap to check for bad blocks.

seniorr at aracnet.com