[PLUG] Promise drive controller

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Tue Nov 25 16:22:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:23:04AM -0800, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I'm pleased to see that this elicited some interest.
> As I type this, Fedora is downloading, and I'll refer
> to these questions as I attempt the installation
> again. By the way, the controller is not a Fastrak
> (not RAID), even though manufactured by Promise. So I

What controller is it?  You may be able to find out with lspci:

-($) lspci -v

<snip>

02:05.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 02) (prog-if 85)
        Subsystem: Promise Technology, Inc. Ultra100TX2
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
        I/O ports at 20c0 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 20b4 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 20b8 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 20b0 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 20a0 [size=16]
        Memory at f5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

<snip>

I haven't been able to get linux to boot off mine yet, but I haven't
tried real hard, although the drives show up fine with the promise
20268 driver compiled in (perhaps your installer was using a module
that got removed at some point when it shouldn't have been?).

-Rogan