[PLUG] iptables

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Nov 26 08:38:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 23:45, Matthias A wrote:
> I'm trying to use my webserver as a router, as well. I've put a second
> network card in, and verified that both of them work.
> However, I can't seem to get iptables to do NAT.
> input/forward/output/prerouting/postrouting in all tables is configured to
> 'accept', and the 'nat' table has a rule "-A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j
> MASQUERADE". However, this doesn't seem to actually do any IP masquerading.
> Is this obviously incorrect?

As somebody else pointed out, you need to be sure to make sure ip
forwarding is enabled.  If it is, and that isn't the problem, it's
really a little difficult to just see one line of an iptables rule and
diagnose a problem.  It would be a lot easier to see the whole script
(assuming you're using a script... if not, iptables-save) to see if
there are any big issues with it.

Rob