[PLUG] Promise drive controller

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 20:59:02 UTC 2003

--- Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I have had hit-or-miss results with the Promise
> card.  I am using
> the ATA-133 card, the ones that Maxtor rebrands and
> includes with
> the big drives.
For some reason I could not install Red Hat 8 or 9
after installing the Ultra100 TX2 drive controller.
Either the install progrma isn't that good, or the
disks I made were defective, although they tested good
on the media check. I just installed ASPLinux because
the CD's were handy, and it appears to be fully
functional.

> I am on the road, and have poor access to the
> machines, so if you
> are still having problems in another week, contact
> me and we'll
> debug this stuff.

I will be glad to share my experience with you, or
anyone else, if there are still issues. There are
probably millions of DMA-66 computers still in service
that are worth this inexpensive upgrade, so the issue
deserves attention. In short, it's worth the trouble
to do it, but expect some.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."--Frederick Nietzsche