[PLUG] Starting sendmail...

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Nov 27 10:35:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 10:21, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I had this problem once earlier just after installing
> Linux, but I don't remember how I solved it.It starts
> a bunch of things.
>
> Starting xinetd                   OK
> Starting sendmail
>
> Starting console mouse services   OK
>
> When reaching sendmail, it hangs for a long
> time--probably two or three minutes.

My guess, with problems like hanging services, is DNS isn't set up
properly... your machine may not have a resolvable hostname or something
similar.

> I do not use
> sendmail, so presumably either removing it or not
> attempting to start it is the answer. Could anyone
> give me advice?

If you don't use sendmail, why is it starting up when you boot your
box?  :-)

I would suggest stopping sendmail from loading itself when you boot up -
the hows of that are dependent upon the linux distribution you're
running.  If it's Gentoo, "rc-update del sendmail default" should do the
trick.  If it's Slackware "chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.sendmail" should do the
trick.  If it's something else... have fun.  :-)

Happy Thanksgiving

Rob