[PLUG] Re: The list needs moderation

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Fri Nov 28 12:59:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 07:16, Robert Munro wrote:
> > From: "Michael C. Robinson" <michael at robinson-west.com>
> > To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
> > Date: 28 Nov 2003 00:36:31 -0800
> > Subject: [PLUG] The list needs moderation...
> >
> > It has come to my attention that this list is highly
> > abused. [. . .]
>
> <snip>
>
> Michael -- It's painfully obvious that irony -- like discretion -- is a
> concept that you have yet to grasp.  As to moderation, you might try it.

And maybe telling someone to shut up is rude.  Try using more than a
sound byte once in a while if you're going to lodge a complaint against
someone, it's bad enough up to half a conversation is going to likely
be lost because individual people are making the mistake of trying to
moderate themselves instead of calling for moderation at a much higher
level.  Bayesian filtering could be done at the top where false
positives could be avoided by having messages and their posters
redirected to plug-talk when what is posted is suspected of being
off topic.  I don't buy it than any community can't come up with
standards for posts, for one thing it goes to the very issue of
being received that the decision has been made to forego a proper
community standard.

--
Michael C. Robinson

Associates of General Studies