[PLUG] visudo doesn't save sudoers

Brian Quade serendipity at pobox.com
Fri Nov 28 14:36:02 UTC 2003

The only thing the visudo documentation says about saving changes is
that it will not save the changes to the file if there are errors, but
it will report the errors instead.  When I edit the file and then exit
from visudo, the only thing it tells me is "sudoers file unchanged", but
there is no error reported.  I tried typing ":sav /etc/sudoers!" from
within the visudo editor like I would if I were saving a file using vi,
but that didn't save the file either.  I don't see a command line
parameter for saving the changes.  And if you just quit out of visudo
after editing the file, it doesn't save the changes either.  What's the
big secret?  How do you save your changes using visudo?