[PLUG] The list needs moderation...

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Nov 28 22:41:02 UTC 2003

> It wouldn't cost too much too have the list moderated from
> the top if the community really came together to support
> and guide this.

"WHO" do you suggest lead this effort? Plug is a free form group, has
been as long as I have been a member. I've been a member for almost 5
years.

What is considered off-topic is a moving target, and changes daily. An
example of this is the spam discussion. Some felt that the whole thing
was off topic, others felt it should get it's own sub-list, and others
felt it should just go on as it is.

My point is that plug is not an organization like you expect it to be.
This community is just a bunch of people that believe they can help
one-another. In some cases, these like minded people have vastly
different views on how certain things should be done. e.g. Vi vs Emacs.

If one person is moderating the list, we'll end up with someone
moderated that others disagree with. If it's a commitee, we'll end up
with the same thing, plus the commitee probably fighting amongst itself.

All of this leads to the conclusion that leaving what comes into your
email box up to you is the best way to handle it.

Consequently, we end up with suggestions such as you have already
received to write your own inbox rules to send messages from people who
offend you to whatever bit bucket you wish.

In other words, take care of your own problem, because others on this
list feel it would be harmed by moderation.

Another point made by others is YOU need to show a little self
restraint. Posting a reply to an off-topic thread is every bit as bad as
the original post. You are simply perpetuating something that you are
now claiming needs to be resolved.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #22 (Collect all 22)
 "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge