[PLUG] The list needs moderation...

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Sat Nov 29 16:38:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 14:05, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> > Kill filing does not offer any way to make amends nor any way to say,
> > "hey any out there listening to Jeme, I don't agree with his off topic
> > post showing up on here."
>
> I personally agree that kill-filing is more harmful than any other way of
> dealing with problems.  It's burying your head in the sand.
>
> Mostly, it's arrogance and overkill.  You are assuming that this person
> you've blocked can never have anything useful to present to you.  And you
> are destroying your own ability to benefit from even the posts that you
> don't automatically find offensive.
>
> It's a bad solution and I'm glad we agree.
>
> > Do I want to be associated with this list?
>
> That's exactly the question Eric presented to you and you were offended.
>
> > Not if Jeme's message and other messages I don't agree with fill it up
> > with no one moderating for those who are vulnerable.
>
> Now, see, here's the real problem.  You have this idea of "those who are
> vulnerable".  You're implying there are people out there who cannot reason
> for themselves and you must do their filtering for them.  I reject that
> statement as grossly elitist and paternalist.
>
> Trust people to do one of two things:  Care for themselves or ask for
> help.  If they don't do that much, they cannot be helped.
>
> > I don't agree with this ultra liberal view that a community should not
> > take responsibility to keep a discussion list it hosts within it's
> > mission statement.
>
> There is no mission statement for the PLUG list.  Also, I believe freedom
> is the watch-word around the Free Software movement, so being "ultra
> liberal" (i.e. ultra free) is exactly the goal.

Wrong.  We are a Unix/Linux community...  Or is there no such thing
as an off topic post where it's really annoying pests read things
they don't like on plug and then complain later ;-)  Do lack of
restrictions always equate to freedom?  I imagine if gravity were
taken away from the earth that a lot of people would be upset
with that, but it is technically a restriction.  If the list admin
blocked you occasionally, I'm not sure people would complain that
much though Mr. Brelin.  BTW, doesn't anyone who asks for help
on plug list risk a diatribe from you Jeme.

Is is possible that you are a unique pain in the neck on this
list where it is within your own unique style to post that a woman
called herself a pervert but that isn't derogatory where you still
haven't explained what non offensive thing she supposedly meant
for all the uneducated elitist punks out there ;-)

As far as people who can't reason for themselves, I nominate you
as president.  Wait a minute, you don't believe people reason
at all.  Didn't you once say we're all just chemical formulas?
You're world totally inhales.

--
Michael C. Robinson

Associates of General Studies