[PLUG] No to moderation

Grish grishnav at egosurf.net
Sat Nov 29 20:28:01 UTC 2003

Michael C. Robinson wrote:

>Why do corporations, schools, and small business have standards of what
>can and can't be transmitted through their electronic infrastructure?

Because they choose to. PLUG chooses not to. Deal with it.

>Why should I be subjected to the bias of plug?

Because you signed up. If you don't like it, leave. Nobody is forcing
you to read plug. You signed up voluntarily. You continue to read the
posts voluntarily. You continue to contribute voluntarily. If you don't
like it, stop volunteering! If plug is doing you so much harm, why are
you tolerating it? Why are you contributing to it?

I have some theories, but I'll keep them to myself for now...

>Why should I leave
>because there might be a bias?

Because you're the one that has the problem with "the bias" (which the
rest of us are, oddly enough, oblivious too, but for the sake of
argument (sigh), we'll say it exists). The rest of us don't. Flow with
it or go elsewhere.

>In the end I see I'm not being given
>very many choices here.

Leave or stay. Those are your choices.

Who the hell told you that plug was obligated to give you choices about
what gets posted to the list? You act like your entitled to them or
something. Nobody here owes you anything.

>If I kill file the people who respond most
>often, I've basically left anyways.

So why not just take the leap and leave then?

>Kill filing does[n't] offer me any
>way to say I have a problem with what someone is posting, it's just
>ignoring them.

This is a technically-oriented (more specifically, linux-oriented) list.
If your problem with a post goes beyond a debate on technical merits
("No, you idiot, that answer is completely wrong and will cause six
nuclear reactors to simultaneously explode!") then you best be replying
off-list, because I promise, nobody else wants to hear it. If you really
need to debate that crap in a public forum, feel free to ask for someone
to create plug-christian-ethics, or whatever the hell it is you think
you're arguing about. Leave the rest of us to explore technical issues.

By the way, please consider using a spell checker on outgoing email from
now on. It's quite helpful to those of us who have to wade through your
spew.

Now go away, bothersome insect.

OVER To a slightly more on-topic topic, just how do you >/dev/null mail
in procmail? Can I just use /dev/null as a mailbox? Q-Mail vomited last
time I tried that (though I found the trick to doing it with some
research - fill the alias file with only a comment). I'd much like this
thread to end, weather or not people continue to reply to it.

Something like:

:0
* Subject:.*No to moderation
/dev/null

??

Also, can anybody point to any decent procmail documentation? The
procmail site doesn't seem to have much, and though I've found a few
good guides out there, none seem to be comprehensive, and always leave
me with questions.