[PLUG] No to moderation

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sun Nov 30 00:54:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 21:37, Michael C. Robinson wrote:

> No no no.  I oppose kill files and favor a community filter
> that everyone can shape through voting

Ok... this may not be my last post in response to your threads, Michael,
but this is the last night I'm reading them - if I see more crap like
this tomorrow, you're going to /dev/null with our other troll.

As far as I can see, what you're asking for is the police.  Now, I am
all in favor of the police for a large public.  We don't, however, need
List Police.  In small communities, there are these things called
'norms' ... unofficial rules we most all abide by.  They aren't written
down.  There's no formal enforcement.  If you violate the norms, you end
up in killfiles.

What you seem to want is a system of punishments for individuals you
disagree with.  This ain't cool for something like a mailing list.  When
we're talking about people behaving recklessly or doing harm to one
another, then a system of punishments probably makes sense.  If we're
discussing technical topics on a mailing list and somebody gets off
topic (gee, like this thread?) such a system is way overboard.  Why
punish when you can make the offender vanish for you?

I believe the outcry against your idea has shown PLUG doesn't want
moderation.  If you feel there needs to be some Newbie-friendly LUG
mailing list that's all moderated, see if PDXLUG is close enough for
you... and if not, start your own LUG.  More power to you.

If you're getting sick of posters here, GET RID OF THEM!  That's what I
do.  You're going to be gone if you keep up with this bullshit.

Adios.  Sleep well.

Rob