[PLUG] ACPI and suspend on a Dell Inspiron 4000 with Debian unstable

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Wed Oct 1 03:19:02 UTC 2003

The title says it all, I suppose.

I have tried for hours, to find some fix to this, and I haven't found
any good clues. Here's the situation:

I am running debian's kernel-image-2.6.0-test4 on a Dell Inspiron 4000.
ACPI loads at startup, and dmesg doesn't have any obvious errors.

But cat /proc/acpi/sleep gives me no file or directory
and echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep gives me:
bash: /proc/acpi/sleep: No such file or directory
(same if I'm in /proc/acpi and type echo 1 > sleep)

And my suspend button, which works fine under 2.4.x, doesn't do anything
anymore.

So I can't get the laptop to go to sleep. Closing the lid does nothing
(except /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state shows closed instead of open,
which is amusing, as I have to type that on my external keyboard, blind,
to find that out =).

Ideas anyone?

Jeff